I recently made this cake for my dad’s birthday. I needed a gluten free “healthy” cake that we could all enjoy. I wanted it to be tasty because not everyone is GF. This was a hit!
I was limited on time as I was also cooking an entire lunch, packing it up, and leaving the house at 10:30 am for an hour drive to my father’s house.
Well, the cake got smashed in the car ride but it still tasted fantastic! So, pardon the pic and just know it was delish!
Part of this cake recipe is adapted from all day I dream about food coconut cream poke cake.
I used a mix because it is just plain easy! This mix is great because it really is easy and comes out perfect every time! I have used this mix for this cake several times and I have also made it into muffins. Yum!
1 box simple mills vanilla cake mix (make according to box directions) and stirring in about 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut to mix, bake and let cool. Poke holes in cake about an inch or so apart with the back of a wooden spoon.
1 recipe of coconut custard from All Day I Dream About Food make while cake is baking. Here is the recipe for Coconut Cream:
- 1 cup full fat canned coconut milk
- 1/4 cup powdered Swerve Sweetener
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 tsp coconut extract
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp xanthan gum
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine coconut milk and sweetener and bring to just a simmer.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg and egg yolk. Slowly stir in about 1/3 of the hot coconut milk, whisking continuously. Then slowly whisk egg mixture back into hot coconut milk.
- Cook another 4 to 5 minutes, whisking continuously, until mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat and whisk in coconut extract and vanilla extract. Sprinkle surface with xanthan gum and whisk briskly to combine.
- Pour mixture evenly over cooled cake, shaking gently from side to side to get as much mixture into the poke holes as possible.
- Refrigerate 2 hours until completely cooled.
- I served the cake with only the coconut cream on top. You could also make the whip topping from her website recipe and add that on top. I didn’t think it was needed and I was in a hurry.